Monday, August 29, 2011

About The Honorable Jere Mello, Ft. Bragg City Councilmember

Photo Courtesy of Evan Johnson

My heart is broken this morning as I reflect on my friend, Ft. Bragg City Councilmember Jere Mello.

Saturday morning, Ft. Bragg City Councilmember and former Mayor Jere Mello was senslessly murded on private property as he ran into  heavily armed man guarding an illegal marijuana field.

A student of mine at Sac State this semester asked me who my political heroes were. I told him I didn't really know - his question threw me for a loop. I almost blurted out RFK, MLK or someone like that. I never knew them and while they were big picture leaders it felt disingenuous to say that.

I think my political heroes include Jere Mello- because he was such a man of integrity, belief, incredible energy and a commitment to his family and city. He never preached and he led by example. That is a person who deserves to be a political hero.


Thank you for your leadership and friendship Jere. Rest in peace my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment